This contest is over. Click here to view the winners!
PhotoArt Challenge #12 - Colorize old Black and White Photo
The image is of Robert Lincoln son of Abraham Lincoln.
This week I want you to stretch a bit. The challenge is to do the best colorization of a black and white image that you can. For the uninitiated I found a really detailed tutorial.. feel free to search for more... Don't miss the youtube included there.
I will look for more and post them in the discussion area of the contest.. post any good ones that you know of there as well.
Next week we will create a painted portrait from your colorized version. (Oh boy ;O)
To participate you MUST download the image by clicking the link below. Under the image you will see 4 links each a higher resolution. Right click on the resolution of your choice and select the option 'save target as...'. and save it to your folder of choice.
DON'T right click on the link just click to go to the webpage. Download from there.
Library of Congress
This image is in the public domain and free from all restrictions.
Rules: (Not many, but please read them all)
1. You MUST use the photo above to create your masterpiece.
2. Your only task is to colorize the image, you will probably want to do some clean up and levels adjustments first. But no messing around with the image this time.
3. You will have one week to work on it and upload to the contest. So take your time.
4. You may post up to 10 images.
5. The original photo is NOT mine. It is found on the Library of Congress site and is in the Public Domain with no restrictions. Therefore you are free to use this image.
In regards to voting.. I think you can agree that this is not the type of contest that you enter to advertise your art... so.. there is no stopping you from voting for your own images, but please refrain. If you must.. just use one of your votes for your entries, and please use all of your available votes. And please judge the images in as to how well they conform to the contest instructions. Thanks.
Oh, and once you upload an image leave a little note in the discussions telling us a little about your methods. Or anything you want us to know about it. (optional)
If you see your image disappear.. see the discussion 'why did my entry disappear'
Also see the discussion area for some tips on file size.
Each participant may submit 10 images.
1) You must be a member of FineArtAmerica.com in order to cast votes in this contest. Your account must have been active at least 30 days prior to the start of the contest in order to vote.
2) You may only vote once per image.
3) You may vote for as many images as you like... but only once for any given image.
Status: This contest is over.
Tuesday, June 18th, 2013 - 4:10 PM
Submissions End / Voting Begins:
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 - 4:10 PM
Voting Ends / Prizes Awarded:
Friday, June 28th, 2013 - 4:10 PM
Current Time (Eastern United States):
Thursday, April 2nd, 2015 - 4:39 AM
This contest will be awarding the following prizes: