Comment, Like, & Favorite
Debra and Dave Vanderlaan
Photograph - Photography
A golden pasture of grasses in the early autumn, shown here at sunset. The Queen Anne's Lace is blooming along the fence-line as a decoration to the farm where this large abandoned manse sits on the hill.
The house is the historic Hughes House near the famous Cape Blanco Lighthouse... A sterling work of late Victorian architecture, built in 1898 by P.J. Lindberg for $3,800, this home was a culmination of nearly four decades of laborious work by dairyman Patrick and Jane Hughes. The Hughes ranch house is a two-story, 11-room house of two-by-eight Port Orford cedar. The rectangular structure with cross wings comprises more than 3,000 square feet.
Patrick Hughes was born in County Tyrone, Ireland in 1830. He came to America about 1850. In Boston, Massachusetts, he met and married Jane O’Neill, also from County Tyrone.
It isn't exactly clear when they came west. There are two major stories, one has them coming west by the Isthmus of Panama and another has them coming by land. From that point: some say Patrick came west first, looking for gold and Jane followed later. Some say Patrick left Jane in San Francisco while he traveled north as far as the Fraser River in Canada looking for gold. There's no doubt that he eventually they arrived in Deady, Oregon (north of Roseburg), as they are recorded in the 1860 Federal Census. Patrick's next move was to the Sixes River, where he established what was to become a large ranch.
Patrick was a progressive and prosperous dairyman. He built his ranch from the original acreage to nearly 2,000 acres, employing as many as 14 ranch hands. From over 100 cows, he produced high quality butter for barter and sale locally as well as in San Francisco. He also sold and traded other ranch products, such as smoked and cured meats, milk, and fish to local markets.
A devout Catholic, Patrick built a small church "Mary, Star of the Sea" on his land in 1892. Behind it was a cemetery where several of his Irish employees and family members were buried.
December 5th, 2012
Viewed 281 Times - Last Visitor from Bonyhád, 21 - Hungary on 11/24/2014 at 2:55 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview