Comment, Like, & Favorite
1946 Cockshutt Tractor
Lee Dos Santos
In 1946, Cockshutt began making the first line of modern farm tractors manufactured in Canada. The origins of the company's agricultural business can be traced to the 1870s and various businesses operated by the Cockshutt family. The Cockshutt Plow Company was registered in 1910. The company's tractor manufacturing operations were acquired by White Motor Company (later to be White Tractor) in 1961.
Cockshutt was a large tractor and machinery manufacturer, known as Cockshutt Farm Equipment Limited (1957–1962), based in Brantford, Ontario, Canada.
Originally founded as the Brantford Plow Works by James G. Cockshutt in 1877, the name was changed to the Cockshutt Plow Company when it was incorporated in 1882. After James died shortly thereafter, his brother William Foster Cockshutt took over as president. He remained until 1888, when another brother Frank Cockshutt became president of the company. In 1910, Henry Cockshutt, the youngest of the brothers, took over the leadership of the company. Under his direction, the company was able to obtain financing for acquisitions and expansion.
Known for quality designs, the company became the leader in the tillage tools sector by the 1920s.
August 27th, 2012
Viewed 86 Times - Last Visitor from San Francisco, CA on 11/20/2014 at 4:58 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview