Ventura County, CA
Photograph - Digital Art
The early morning sun rises over the boardwalk on Moonstone Beach in Cambria, California. Light filters through a beautiful oak tree at the top of the bluffs, and pretty wildflowers line the sides of the boardwalk, creating a very peaceful and scenic walk that takes ones breath away!!
Cambria is a seaside village located midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on the California State Route 1 (Highway 1). The name Cambria was settled upon in 1869 (previously the town had gone by the names of Slabtown, Rosaville, San Simeon and Santa Rosa).
Originally an American settlement called Slab Town, it was centered at Leffingwell cove of today's north Moonstone Beach, which also housed a wharf. As lumber, ranching and Quicksilver (mercury) mining increased in the area, the village adopted the more dignified name of Cambria, influence by a local transplant surveyor from Cambria County, Pennsylvania.
The building of Hearst Castle benefited Cambria greatly. Spanning the high unemployment years of the Great Depression, many Cambria citizens found welcome employment there. Additionally, Cambria provided supplies, services, and accommodations for many who came to build the Castle, creating prosperity in Cambria in an unprosperous decade.
War touched Cambria when the 8,000-ton Union Oil tanker, S.S Montebello, was attacked and sunk in the early morning of December 23, 1941. Cambria citizens rallied to the rescue, and all six crewmen were rescued. According to the captain, Olaf Eckstrom, Cambria citizens were heroes: "God Bless 'em - they performed like American seamen, orderly, efficient, without hysteria."
Other notable locations in the town include the historical Old Santa Rosa Chapel which was built in 1870, and as one of the oldest churches in the county of San Luis Obispo, held Catholic mass until May 26, 1963. The church fell into neglect until 1978, when the chapel and cemetery were restored. Wooden markers and tombstones as old as the founding year of the chapel (1870) grace the Santa Rosa Catholic Cemetery to the rear of the small chapel and donned with the large entrance sign reading: In Pace Requiescat (Latin for Rest In Peace).
May 27th, 2013
Viewed 431 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/02/2015 at 5:42 PM