Concord Point Lighthouse
Photograph - Epson Lustre Paper
The concord Point lighthouse in Havre De Grace, Md. The lighthouse guarding the entrance to the Susquehanna River has for years been known as the Concord Point light, located on a point of land known since the seventeenth century as Conquered Point. The lighthouse is restored in a small park bordering the Bay, and offers passers by a place to rest and perhaps dream of a life long gone.
The government decided to build a light at this location and a small plot was purchased. The 39-foot tower was built for $3,500 by John Donohoo in 1827. Since its inception, this lighthouse has had five different lights installed. The first lamps were a series of nine with 16-inch reflectors. A steamers lens was next and sometime in the 1870s s sixth-order fresnel was installed. In 1892 a fifth-order lens was placed in the tower and finally a fixed green light has been shown.
A hero of the War of 1812, John ONeill, who defended Havre de Grace against the British fleet in 1813 was named the lighthouse keeper. His direct descendants held this position until 1920 when the light was automated.
February 12th, 2013
Viewed 419 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 07/04/2015 at 1:53 AM