A Beacon In The Night
Photograph - Photography
Pierhead lighthouse in the dark of night. This light is a red conical tower consisting of riveted steel plates. It was originally equipped with a Fourth Order Fresnel lens. It sits at the end of a ribbed-steel-reinforced pier leading into Kenosha's harbor. While there had been a light at the end of Kenosha's north pier since 1848, with improvements made as part of the Army Corps of Engineers harbor improvements begun in 1899, a skeletal wooden light, typical of the type constructed on piers throughout the Great Lakes, was built at the Pier's end. The existing cast iron tower was built to replace the previous wooden tower in 1906. Standing fifty feet tall, the circular lantern room with diagonal astragals was outfitted with a Fourth Order Fresnel lens.
October 15th, 2012
Viewed 158 Times - Last Visitor from Russian Federation on 05/22/2015 at 1:53 PM