Co Armagh, Ireland
Photograph - Photography Digital Hdr
Abbeylara (Irish: Mainistir Leathr�tha, meaning "Abbey of the half rath or little rath") is a village in the easternmost portion of County Longford, Ireland, located about three kilometers east of Granard on the R369 regional road. Its name is derived from a monastery, the great Abbey of Lerha, founded in 1205 by Hiberno-Norman magnate, Riste�rd de Ti�it, for Cistercian monks. The monastery was dissolved in 1539, although its ruins are still apparent on approach to the village. An ancient earthenwork, the Duncla (Irish D�n-chla� meaning "fortified ditch") or Black Pig's Dyke, which runs south-eastwards from Lough Gowna to Lough Kinale, goes through the larger parish of Abbeylara, and passes about one kilometre north of the village.
June 6th, 2010
Viewed 467 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 04/02/2015 at 3:15 AM