Comment, Like, & Favorite
Addenbroke Island Lighthouse
Photograph - Photo
Located at the southern entrance to Fitzhugh Sound, Addenbrooke Island lightstation marks the major shipping channel for cruise ships and commercial vessels seeking to avoid the rough waters of Hecate Strait. It is close to major tourist destinations at Rivers Inlet and Hakai Pass, popular commercial fishing areas. It is the only location in Fitzhugh Sound where local marine weather observations are taken.
Addenbrooke lighthouse, known today as Addenbroke Island Lightstation, is situated on the west end of Addenbroke Island in Fitz Hugh Sound. It was established in 1914 on the British Columbia coast to help and aid ship through the treacherous coastline.
W.A. Guthro and his wife Edith were the first lightkeepers of Addenbrooke, and turned the light on in May 1914 for the first time. As time went on there were to be many more lightkeepers of Addenbrooke. There was Mr. F. Smith and his wife who took over in August 1918 and then Mrs. Smith continued on looking after the lightstation after the death of her husband in 1922. In 1928 Mrs. Smith (now remarried to Mr. W.F. Brydon) traded lightstations with Ernie Maynard, who was the lightkeepers of Lucy Island. On May 1929, Ernie's career as a lighthouse keeper came to a tragic end. Ernie was found murdered by his boathouse. His murder was never solved. It was suggested that he discovered a thief and in a struggle his live was take. The Wallace Children often speak of this incident and how they were afraid to go down by the boathouse in case of running into Maynard's Ghost.
A. Johnston replaced Ernie Maynard after his death and stayed on Addenbrooke until August 22, 1932, when William Wallace replaced him as the lightkeeper. So thus begins part of our family story.
March 25th, 2013
Viewed 142 Times - Last Visitor from Providence, UT on 11/29/2014 at 6:15 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview