Comment, Like, & Favorite
Admiralty Head Lighthouse
Painting - Pen&ink/ Watercolor
First established in January 1861, the frame house with its Fourth Order Fresnel sent a fixed white light 16 miles out and welcomed marine traffic into Puget Sound and Admiralty Inlet. During the Spanish-American War, it was decided to station troops and artillery on Red Bluff, and the lighthouse was torn down. Ready for duty in 1903, a replacement lighthouse was built on Admiralty Head, using the original Fresnel lens. The onset of channel traffic changes and shipping routes, caused the light to be turned off in 1927, and the lens was moved to the New Dungeness Lighthouse, located on a 7 mile spit near Sequim, WA. World War II saw the lighthouse used as a high-ranking Officer�s home. Today, it excites visitors to Fort Casey with its history and views over the Inlet. Located near the ferry terminal to Port Townsend, it is easy to locate.
February 2nd, 2011
Viewed 108 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 09/02/2014 at 2:58 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview