Comment, Like, & Favorite
Aiming High - Baggs Head Light
Christiane Schulze Art And Photography
Photograph - Photography
The Cape Florida Light is a lighthouse on Cape Florida at the south end of Key Biscayne in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Constructed in 1825, it guided mariners off the Florida Reef, which starts near Key Biscayne and extends four miles (6.4 km) from the coast. It was operated by staff, with interruptions, until 1878, when it was replaced by the Fowey Rocks lighthouse. The lighthouse was put back into use in 1978 by the U.S. Coast Guard to mark the Florida Channel, the deepest natural channel into Biscayne Bay. They decommissioned it in 1990.
Within the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park since 1966, the lighthouse was relit in 1996. It is owned and operated by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
December 21st, 2010
Viewed 138 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 08/07/2014 at 1:40 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview