New York , NY
Alchemists Laboratory, 1595
Photograph - Photograph
"The First Stage of the Great Work," better-known as the "Alchemist's Laboratory." The drawing of the laboratory is credited to architectural painter Hans Vredeman de Vries and shows Khunrath in his laboratory. Engraving appeared in Amphitheatrum Sapientiae Aeternae, 1595. Heinrich Khunrath (1560-1605), or Dr. Henricus Khunrath as he was also called, was a German physician, hermetic philosopher, and alchemist. Framed around his commitment to Lutheran theology Khunrath developed a Christianized natural magic, seeking to find the secret prima materia that would lead man into eternal wisdom. His most famous work on alchemy is the Amphitheatrum Sapientiae Aeternae (Amphitheater of Eternal Wisdom), an alchemical classic, combining both Christianity and magic.
March 7th, 2013
Viewed 209 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/30/2015 at 3:32 AM