Comment, Like, & Favorite
Photograph - Digital Painting/photographic Art
Another in the Plantation/Estate homes architecture series - based on a pencil sketch, digitally painted in PSE 9
Arlington House - Birmingham, Alabama
Arlington is a fine example of Greek Revival architecture dating from the 1840s. The house was built by Judge William S. Mudd, one of the ten founders of Birmingham. The house is furnished with a collection of 19th century decorative arts. Located on six acres in the heart of Old Elyton, the first permanent County Seat of Jefferson County, Arlington is a center for historical, cultural, and civic activities.
Arlington Antebellum Home & Gardens is a former plantation house and 6 acres (24,000 m2) of landscaped gardens near downtown Birmingham, Alabama. The two-story frame structure was built between 1845-50 and features antebellum-era Greek Revival architecture. The house serves as a decorative arts museum, featuring a collection of 19th-century furniture, textiles, silver, and paintings. The garden features a restored garden room that is used for special events. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 2, 1970.
Built between 1845 and 1850 by William S. Mudd in Elyton, the second county seat of Jefferson County. Birmingham, a city that Mudd helped to establish, eventually grew to encompass the former site of Elyton. Arlington is one of the only surviving structures from the time of Elyton and is Birmingham's only antebellum mansion. Arlington was used by Union troops while planning the burning of the University of Alabama.
The ashes of former Birmingham mayor George G. Siebels, Jr. are interred at Arlington.
Copyright - derivative work, digital painting - MCN :: C9Y7G-B8PVT-N96BK
May 6th, 2012
Viewed 242 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 12/25/2014 at 9:49 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview