Ballaja Barracks Museum
Photograph - Photography
The Ballaja Barracks were built by the Spanish militia from 1854 to 1864. To build it, six blocks from the Ballaja ward were expropriated from the Dominican Order, and demolished in 1853. The three-story structure was completed in 1864, occupying an area of 7,700 square . It could accommodate over 1,000 citizens, originally Spanish soldiers and their families. Its vast interior patio is one of the best examples of 19th-century Spanish architecture.
Other than the housing facilities, the barracks had storage rooms, kitchens, mess halls, dungeons, and horse stables.: Today, the Ballaja Barracks houses several educational and cultural organizations, namely the Museo de Las Americas, on the second floor of the building since 1992. On the first floor, there are music and dance schools, a library, among other things.
The Museo de Las Americas has three permanent collections: African Heritage, the Indian in America, and Popular Arts in America.
August 12th, 2013
Viewed 29 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 08/21/2015 at 12:38 AM