Photograph - Fine Art Prints - Digital Art
BB King and Beale Street Symbolize Memphis Tennessee...Digital Art Photography of Beale Street by Barbara Chichester.
Beale Street was created in 1841 by entrepreneur and developer Robertson Topp (1807 to 1876), who named it for a forgotten military hero. The original name was Beale Avenue. Its western end primarily housed shops of trade merchants, who traded goods with ships along the Mississippi River, while the eastern part developed as an affluent suburb. In the 1860s, many black traveling musicians began performing on Beale. The first of these to call Beale Street home were the Young Men's Brass Band, who were formed by Sam Thomas in 1867.
In the 1870s, the population of Memphis was rocked by a series of yellow fever epidemics, leading the city to forfeit its charter in 1879. During this time, Robert Church purchased land around Beale Street that would eventually lead to his becoming the first black millionaire from the south. In 1890, Beale Street underwent renovation with the addition of the Grand Opera House, later known as the Orpheum. In 1899, Robert Church paid the city to create Church Park at the corner of 4th and Beale. It became a recreational and cultural center, where blues musicians could gather.
March 22nd, 2013
Viewed 668 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/30/2015 at 4:14 AM