Bleak House Plantation Barn At Sunset
Painting - Oil On Canvas
This oil captures the sun going down while hitting the Bleak House Plantation Barn. Bleak House was a 692‑acre plantation nine miles northwest of Charlottesville. Dr. James B. Rogers (1793‑1863) purchased it from the heirs of William Michie in 1836 and built the house, which still stands, about 1854. The plantation bordered the South Fork of the Rivanna River about five miles upstream from the Hydraulic Mills. Wheat, tobacco, corn, and livestock were raised there and activities included blacksmithing and textile production.
October 4th, 2012
Viewed 271 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 08/21/2015 at 10:03 PM