Truro, United Kingdom
Photograph - Photography
Bristol Cathedral looms in the background over the roof of the cafe on Canons Marsh. Bristol Cathedral was founded as St Augustine's Abbey in 1140 by Robert Fitzharding, a wealthy local landowner and royal official. As the name suggests, the monastic precinct housed Augustinian canons. The original abbey church, of which only fragments remain, was constructed between 1140 and 1148 in the Romanesque style, known in England as Norman. Further stone buildings were erected on the site between 1148 and 1164. Three fine examples of this phase survive, the chapterhouse and the abbey gatehouse, now the diocesan office, together with a second Romanesque gateway, which originally led into the abbot's quarters. T.H.B. Burrough describes the former as the finest Norman chapter house still standing today.
April 16th, 2013
Viewed 79 Times - Last Visitor from Eastbourne, E2 - United Kingdom on 01/10/2015 at 9:47 AM