Photograph - Photography
In 1901, the center of Main Street was officially designated as the state line separating Tennessee and Virginia by the United States Congress. The street has since been renamed as "State Street."
According to the Bristol Historical Association's booklet The Historical Bristol Sign, the Bristol Gas and Electric Company donated and erected the sign atop a hardware store in 1910 to advertise the city. The sign originally contained the lighted slogan PUSH! - THAT'S BRISTOL referring to the hopes of continued growth and future prosperity for the two cities. In 1915, the sign was moved to its current location. In 1921, a contest was held in order to select a new slogan. The winning slogan, A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE, has remained the slogan ever since.
January 18th, 2013
Viewed 262 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 06/30/2015 at 5:41 AM