Comment, Like, & Favorite
Camp Reynolds Angel Island
Photograph - Photography
Camp Reynolds (aka West Garrison)
Civil War Era
With concern mounting over threats to the Bay Area from Confederate sympathizers and naval forces, the federal government established Camp Reynolds (later known as the West Garrison when the whole island was Fort McDowell) on Angel Island in 1863. Artillery batteries were built near the camp at Point Blunt, Point Knox, Point Stuart and an unofficial �water battery� at the Camp Reynolds Wharf. Fears that the confederates might slip into the Bay and attack naval installations at Mare Island and the Benicia Arsenal were never realized.
Post Civil War
After the Civil War, Camp Reynolds became an infantry camp, serving as a depot for recruits, and as a staging area for troops serving in campaigns against the Apache, Sioux, Modoc, and other Indian tribes. By 1876, this was a busy camp with over 200 soldiers and complete military camps or posts including a chapel, bakery, blacksmith, shoemaker, laundry, barber, trading store, and photographer.
August 8th, 2012
Viewed 141 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 07/15/2014 at 12:45 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview