Cape Florida Lighthouse
Photograph - Epson Lustre Paper
The lighthouse Cape Florida at Key Biscayne. This lighthouse is at the northern end of the Florida Keys, some 30 miles north of the Carysfort Reef on the northern entrance to Key Biscayne Bay. The original tower, built in 1825 was only 65 feet tall and was built with hollow walls to fraudulently improve upon the builders net worth. The reef laden coast in this area has taken its toll of vessels over the years, but particularly so during the 1850�s. The lighthouse board decided to raise the tower during those latter years by 100 feet and continued in operation until 1878 when it was replaced by a new light at Fowery Rocks. During the 1970�s the Coast Guard restored the light and it was lit once again in 1978 after a 100-year rest.
September 13th, 2012
Viewed 260 Times - Last Visitor from Parma - Italy on 08/19/2015 at 10:50 AM