North Saanich, Canada
Cape George Lighthouse
Mixed Media - Photography
The Cape George Lighthouse in Antigonish County, Nova Scotia, Canada, stands atop Cape George Point overlooking St. George�s Bay, an inlet of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, which in turn is part of the Atlantic Ocean. The present lighthouse was built in 1968 and it is the third lighthouse built on this site. It stands approximately 360 feet above the bay and both Cape Breton Island and Prince Edward Island can be seen on a clear day.
Built in 1861 and set on top of a wooden house, the first light was destroyed by fire in 1907. A second lighthouse and keeper�s homestead complete with some farm and a vegetable garden was constructed in 1908. The 1908 lighthouse was rebuilt in 1968 and it is this white, concrete octagonal structure and red octagonal lantern which stands on this site today.
April 18th, 2013
Viewed 21 Times - Last Visitor from Moscow, 48 - Russian Federation on 08/13/2015 at 2:17 PM