Comment, Like, & Favorite
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Photograph - Photograph
Carbonic-oxide (carbon monoxide, charcoal fumes) Poisoning with agonal injuries due to a fall, 1898. On the morning of November 6th, the woman, clothed only in a chemise and petticoat, was found dead before her bed, lying with her face downward. In her small room there was a basin containing half-consumed charcoal, by burning which she was accustomed to warm herself. At first view the peculiar color of the body is remarkable. As a consequence of the abdominal posture...this color has developed more especially on (the body's) anterior surface.... These lesions...rendered clear the diagnosis of carbonic-oxid poisoning; and this diagnosis was confirmed by an examination of the blood. Spectroscopic examination of the blood diluted with water revealed indeed two absorption-lines in the green part of the spectrum, and these were not essentially different from those of oxy-hemoglobin. Eduard Ritter von Hofmann, M.D., Atlas of Legal Medicine.
February 20th, 2013
Viewed 39 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 01/27/2015 at 9:03 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview