Cd Cover The Painter
Painting - Oil Paint With Acrylic Underpainting
Today Richard True, songwriter, picked up the image for his new CD, "The Painter. It was interesting to create an image around someone vision. A woman standing in the surf with the Tillamook Light House in the distance with surprised recognition and anticipation. 16"x20" on archival canvas board.
Wikipedia Encylopedia had this to say about the lighthouse. Nicknamed "Terrible Tilly" (or Tillie), for its situation on a rock in the stormy Pacific Ocean, the now-decommissioned lighthouse was built in 1881 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers under the leadership of George Lewis Gillespie, Jr.. The structure has attached keeper's quarters and a 62-foot tower that originally housed a first-order Fresnel lens 133 feet above sea level. The light was visible 18 miles out to sea. Lighthouse keepers were hoisted onto the rock with a derrick and breeches buoy. Maritime author and historian James A. Gibbs served one year of duty as a lighthouse keeper beginning in 1945. Storms continually damaged the structure, sometimes throwing large rocks against the tower. In 1934 the fresnel lens was shattered during a violent storm. The entire lighting apparatus was replaced with a modern rotating beacon. Diesel engines were installed to provide electricity for the light and station. The original light was an incandescent oil vapor lamp. The lighthouse was shut down in 1957 and replaced with a whistle buoy, having become the most expensive U.S. lighthouse to operate. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981 and is part of the Oregon Islands National Wildlife Refuge. In 1980, the lighthouse was purchased by a group of investors and converted to a private columbarium. Access to the site is severely limited, with a helicopter landing the only way to access the rock, and it is off-limits even to the owners during the seabird nesting season.
June 1st, 2010
Viewed 326 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 08/21/2015 at 2:56 AM