San Diego, CA
Chicago Light House With Boat In Lake Michigan
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till
Offshore on a breakwall, which is detached from the mainland, sits the Chicago Harbor light station (also called the Chicago Breakwater Light).
Constructed in 1893, and moved to the outer breakwater in 1917, consists of a 48-foot high, brick-lined round steel tower that is 18-feet in diameter. The tower is sandwiched between two one-story, gable roofed buildings. One is a fog signal building, and the other is a former boathouse. Its lantern is 10-sided built of cast iron, and houses a Third Order Fresnel Lens that flashes a red light 82 feet above the water.
The crisp white conical tower rising between two red-roofed buildings is a familiar sight along Chicago's shoreline just east of Navy Pier, where the Lighthouse continues to mark the harbor entrance. The Chicago Harbor Light is an active aid to navigation and access is not permitted. One can catch a fairly good, but distant view of the Chicago Harbor Lighthouse from the city's famous Navy Pier, but is best seen from a boat. The recent transfer of the light tower's ownership from the U.S. Coast Guard to the City of Chicago offers hope that the lighthouse may eventually become more accessible to public visitors.
February 18th, 2013
Viewed 640 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 05/27/2015 at 4:46 AM