Comment, Like, & Favorite
Photograph - Photographs
© Taylan Soyturk Photographe
The Church of the Holy Saviour in Chora is considered to be one of the most beautiful surviving examples of a Byzantine church. The church is situated in Istanbul, in the Edirnekapı neighborhood. The original church on this site was built in the early 5th century, and stood outside of the 4th century walls of Constantine the Great. However, when Theodosius II built his formidable land walls in 413, the church became incorporated within the city's defences, but retained the name Chora. The name must have carried symbolic meaning, as the mosaics in the narthex describe Christ as the Land of the Living and Mary, the Mother of Jesus, as the Container of the Uncontainable. In the 16th century, during the Ottoman era, the church was converted into a mosque and, finally, it became a museum in 1948.
February 11th, 2014
Viewed 272 Times - Last Visitor from Hamilton, ON - Canada on 12/17/2014 at 9:39 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview