Santa Rosa, CA
Church And Barbed Wire
Photograph - Photography
The Bodega Church St. Teresa’s of Avila is actually a very historic church.The church was built by shipbuilders in 1859 on land donated by Jasper O’Farrell and named after St. Teresa of Avila by local Spanish and Portuguese immigrants. Archbishop Alemany dedicated the church in 1861 .The church is still in use today and is the oldest church in continuous use in Sonoma County. Alfred Hitchcock attended services there while filming The Birds. The church is also a California Historical Landmark (#820). The original building was too small and was later expanded by cutting the church in half, pulling the two ends of the small church away from each other, and then building new walls and ceiling to fill in the newly created gap.
April 5th, 2012
Viewed 141 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 07/07/2015 at 12:49 AM