Church At Mission San Luis Rey
Photograph - Photography - Fine Art Photography - Digital Art
© 2013 Sandra Bronstein Photography. All Rights Reserved. No watermark shall appear on any product purchased from this site.
The San Luis Rey Mission Church, the 18th of the 21 original missions established by Spain throughout California, is among the finest existing examples of Spanish-Colonial architecture in all of the State. The building is one of only two cruciform (cross-shaped) churches ever built by the Spanish in the region.
Founded in 1798, San Luis Rey de Francia Mission is in the sheltered valley just east of Oceanside. Erected between 1811 and 1815, the present church is the third one constructed at the site. At the time of its completion, the church was the largest building in Northern California. San Luis Rey is known today as the king of all the California missions. There are numerous areas of this mission to be explored including a beautiful cemetery, an historic church, which is still used today as a parish church, sunken gardens, museum, lavandaria (which is an open air laundry) and ruins of former mission buildings which are no longer standing.
June 10th, 2013
Viewed 118 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 04/03/2015 at 12:10 AM