Church Of The Saviour On Spilled Blood. St. Petersburg. Russia
This multidomed dazzler, partly modelled on St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow, was built between 1883 and 1907. When Stalin closed all the churches in the 1930s, this church was used to store various items from potatoes to theatre sets. Decades of abuse and neglect finally ended in the 1980s . . . it took over 20 years to restore and refurbish this gorgeous candy-cake structure.
This shot was taken from the canal boat tour on the Kanal Griboyedova. Historic Heart.
June 10th, 2012
Viewed 583 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 07/04/2015 at 10:36 AM