12.500 x 14.000 inches
This original drawing is currently for sale. At the present time, originals are not offered for sale through the Fine Art America secure checkout system. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about purchasing this original.
Click here to contact the artist.
Drawing - Graphite On Paper
2010, graphite on paper, 12.5 x 14
Rome, Italy, the Flavian Amphitheater, aka the Colosseum, built by Vespasian and his son Titus between AD 69 and AD 80, was in continuous use to AD 523. The colosseum was named after the bronze statue of Nero, about 120 feet tall, ca. AD 64, placed near by. This drawing looks inside the passage ways of the outer two rings and up at the inside of the still standing north outer wall. Constructed of square blocks of travertine, tufa, brick and marble, the structure contained 80 arches around the circumference, and four levels of seating for about 70,000 people. In the 1000 years between 550 and 1550 the Colosseum was used to house many activities. Plundered through the centuries for its stone, marble facing and metal clamps that held stones in place, the entire south wall and rings were de-constructed and used in other monumental buildings in Rome, including Saint Peters Basilica. Restoration, reconstruction and capping of the remaining structure began in 1805 and continues to this day.
January 10th, 2012
Viewed 366 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 05/05/2015 at 8:51 AM