Covered Bridge In Black And White
Photograph - Photo
Covered Bridge in back and white. Thomas Mill Road Covered Bridge
This is the only remaining covered bridge in the Wissahickon. Originally built in 1737, it provided a connection across the gorge between developing communities in Chestnut Hill and Roxborough. Several houses belonging to mill owners occupied the field on the east side of the bridge. Traffic from the east side could reach Manatawna Lane about 100 feet upstream and travel up the steep hillside into upper Roxborough. The bridge was restored by WPA workers in 1938 and has continued to be maintained since that time under the stewardship of FOW and the Fairmount Park Commission. The most recent repairs were done in 1999.
March 14th, 2010
Viewed 234 Times - Last Visitor from Norristown, PA on 05/29/2015 at 10:12 AM