Comment, Like, & Favorite
Cresson Covered Bridge 2
Photograph - Photography
One mile north of N.H. Route 32 near the site of an old Indian community on Sawyer's Crossing Road in Swanzey. It spans the Ashuelot River.
Style of Bridge:
Town lattice truss
Year of Construction:
Built in 1859 to replace a bridge constructed prior to 1771.
1771 - 53 pounds, six shillings.
The bridge is 158'5" long with clear span of 61'6" and 77'3". It has an overall width of 21'0" with a roadway width of 17'2" and a maximum vertical clearance of 12'0". It has fully sheathed sides. The structure is posted for three tons.
According to the History of Swanzey by Benjamin Read, this structure is also known by the name Cresson. The bridge was reconstructed in 1859 at a cost of $1,735.94. The event was celebrated with a big dance held right on the bridge. Lanterns were hung from the rafters, a four piece orchestra played, lunch was served at midnight, and the dance continued all night. In 1953 the bridge was used by Arthur Godfrey as a tie-in with a Chesterfield cigarette Christmas carton. In response, Governor Hugh Gregg flew to New York to present Mr. Godfrey with an honorary deed to the bridge making him an owner. The bridge was repaired in 1983 at a cost of $61,028.15 of which $16,446.22 was contributed by the town. The remainder came from the state. The Sawyer's Crossing Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
October 27th, 2013
Viewed 158 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 09/10/2014 at 3:38 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview