Den Tilsandede Kirke Steeple
Photograph - Digital Capture, Watermark Not On Actual Print
Den Tilsandede Kirke church near Skagen in Denmark
The Buried Church
The Sct. Laurentii Church is about four kilometers southwest of the town of Skagen, in a reforested area east of the main road. The church was probably built in the late 1300s . At that time the church was the largest in Northern Jutland. The sand drift began in the 16th century, and it became increasingly difficult for the congregation to dig their way to the church for worship. The fight against the sand went on until 1795 when the church was abandoned on the orders of King Christian VII. The nave was then demolished and used for other construction projects, but the steeple was spared and used as a navigational aid. Today it is preserved and after studies in 1994 are the nave and sacristy location now marked in the terrain with red stakes. Fascines marks where the old kirkeg�rdsmur lay. The Buried Church is a very popular tourist destination in Denmark.
March 18th, 2012
Viewed 523 Times - Last Visitor from Seattle, WA on 07/03/2015 at 8:13 PM