Photograph - Photography
A line of colorful rowboats docked in historic Rockport Harbor, Massachusetts.
Rockport was simply an uninhabited part of Gloucester for more than 100 years, and was primarily used as a source of timber, especially pine-for shipbuilding. The area around Cape Ann was also one of the best fishing grounds in New England. In 1743, a dock was built at Rockport harbor on Sandy Bay and was used for both timber and fishing. By the beginning of the 19th century, the first granite quarries were developed, and by the 1830s, Rockport granite was being shipped to cities and towns throughout the East Coast of the United States.
April 19th, 2012
Viewed 974 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/01/2015 at 10:16 AM