Comment, Like, & Favorite
Down The Drain
Photograph - Photography
The Dry River divides Port of Spain into East and West, and is a huge concrete structure with a smaller drain running down the middle. It is really the St Ann's River, diverted from its natural course through Port of Spain by the last Spanish Governor in the 18th Century.
Before it was diverted in 1787, the river flowed down Observatory Street, then westward along what is now Park Street, and across what is now Frederick Street, diagonally through Woodford Square, down Chacon Street and across Independence Square (Marine Square at the time) to the sea.
Throughout the years, for the people who lived nearby, the River was also a recreation ground, a battleground, a short cut and a playground for the less fortunate. Today, it serves as shelter and housing for the homeless and poor and as cover for those engaging in more nefarious activities...
April 11th, 2010
Viewed 214 Times - Last Visitor from San Fernando, 10 - Trinidad and Tobago on 08/05/2014 at 11:03 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview