Broken Arrow, OK
Photograph - Photography
This building is a reconstruction of the Elkhorn Tavern in the Pea Ridge National Military Park in Garfield, Arkansas. Once described as a place of �abundant good cheer,� served travelers on the Telegraph Road before the war came to Arkansas. The tavern was used by General Curtis as part of his supply base until Confederates captured and occupied it early in the afternoon of March 7. They turned it into a field hospital caring for both Union and Confederate wounded. Union troops re-took the tavern on March 8 after routing the Confederate forces from the field. The Federals used the tavern as a military telegraph station until Confederate guerrillas burned it in 1863.
NOTE: Unless you love reading history on signs and looking at a field that once was a battlefield there isn't much to look at here except the tavern and some cannons. Their fee is reasonable to get in though. Lots of history in this area, but not much remains of the structures that once stood.
December 28th, 2011
Viewed 56 Times - Last Visitor from North Las Vegas, NV on 04/17/2015 at 1:59 PM