Fort Pickering Lighthouse At Sunrise
Photograph - Photograph
Fort Pickering Lighthouse was built in 1871 at Winters Island which is now connected to mainland Salem, Massachusetts.
John Harris, an Ipswich native and Civil War veteran, became keeper in December 1882. On the occasion of his retirement in 1919, when he was 75 years old, it was reported that Harris had been absent from the lighthouse for only five nights in 37 years. He ventured only occasionally into the city, about two miles away, for supplies.
Harris often rode his horse into the city. Until his retirement, he never saw the streets of Salem after dark, and he never rode in a car. On the night he retired, Harris attended his first motion picture.
July 26th, 2014
Viewed 201 Times - Last Visitor from Brentwood, CA on 05/27/2015 at 3:19 AM