Fort Worth, TX
Fort Point Lighthouse
Photograph - Digital Photograph
Fort Point Light is located in Maine's 120-acre Fort Point State Park. The park is located on Fort Point, a small peninsula running eastward from Cape Jellison, at the entrance to the Penobscot River. The station was established in 1837 to aid vessels bound for Bangor, a leading lumber port. Because of its beautiful and accessible location it was a much sought-after assignment for light keepers. It was the first river light in Maine. It was automated in 1988 and remains an active aid to navigation maintained by the US Coast Guard. The light's fourth order fresnel lens is one of only eight fresnel lenses still in use in Maine. The original fog signal, a 1,200-pound (540 kg) cast iron bell suspended on a pyramidal tower built in 1890, is still visible today, although it has been replaced by a fog horn in the same building. The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 23, 1988. Fort Point Light is the rate case of a square tower on the outside, but a round tower with a circular iron stairway within.
FEATURED PHOTO, Photography and Textures make Fine Art group, 7/2/13
July 21st, 2013
Viewed 1,304 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 06/30/2015 at 1:53 PM