Comment, Like, & Favorite
30.000 x 48.000 x 1.000 inches
This original mixed media is currently for sale. At the present time, originals are not offered for sale through the Fine Art America secure checkout system. Please contact the artist directly to inquire about purchasing this original.
Click here to contact the artist.
Mixed Media - Mixed Median, Acrylic Paint, Ink, Cedar, Wood,
This painting was taken down in a show because it was seen to be too political. It contains over 20 quotations about "freedom" by past presidents of the United States and philosophers. The eye is painted on a mirror to give it a glint of reality. The bars are real but made out of wood. The painting is on two surfaces about one inch apart. It is probably more a wall sculpture than anything else. It never fails to attract a crowd when it is displayed. It is probably the most "important" work I have ever done. It is not beautiful or meant to be beautiful. At the time I did it, I was seeing the loss of freedom in Western democracies and how the rule of law was being kicked to death by those seeking security in what is an unsecure world.
The quotations include: "Trust No Man With Power", John Adams; "Freedom Lies in Being Bold", Robert Frost; "Democracy is Nothing More than Mob Rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%", Thomas Jefferson; "We can't Defend Freedom Abroad by Deserting it at home", Marilyn Ferguson; "The other side of fear is freedom", Samuel Adams; "Crouch Down and Lick the Hand that Feeds You", Bertoit Brecht; "Freedom Can Not Be Given. It can Only Be Taken Away", Thomas Jefferson; "They Who Give Up Liberty, Deserve Neither Libety Nor Security", Benjamin Franklin; "Any Man Who Takes the Liberty Of Another Into His Keeping is Bound to Become a Tyrant", H.L. Menchen; "You Can Only Be Free, If I Am Free", Clarence Darrow; "Is LIfe So Dear or Peace So Sweet As To Be Purchased at the Price of Chains and Slavery", Patrick Henry.
September 19th, 2011
Viewed 54 Times - Last Visitor from Wilmington , DE on 08/15/2014 at 8:48 AM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview