Photograph - Digital Painting/photographic Art
copyright - MCN :: CC1FF-GXSQ2-KKGS3
Derivative - (the original image remains in the public domain).
The second in a Plantation House/Estate architecture series of images done in various techniques of digital painting or manipulation. This piece is a derivative art work based on a small public domain image.
Gambrill House � Frederick, Maryland
The main block of the house was richly ornamented and constructed on a double-pile center-passage plan. A broad porch spanned the length of the northwest front facade, and upper-story balconies projected from the second and third floors. A long three-story service wing was integrated into the rear of the house, forming an ell. Gambrill later added an enclosed rear porch, divided into a lower level summer dining room and an upper level solarium.
Gambrill Family, ca. 1890
The house was elaborately furnished and designed with spacious and elegantly detailed rooms. It was suited to both the functional domestic requirements of the Gambrills' large family and their fondness for entertaining guests in grand style on special social occasions. A double parlor, a library, and a dining room were on the first floor, while large-scale entertaining was accommodated by the third floor ballroom and built-in stage. Seven fireplaces were built in the house, with imported Italian marble used for the mantels and hearths of those on the first floor. A continuous balustrade complemented the central walnut staircase extending in an open stairwell from the first to third floors.
The architectural sophistication of the mansion was supported by mechanical features considered highly progressive at the time. These included a coal-burning furnace, gas wall-mounted lamps throughout the house, a gas cooking range, and an innovative plumbing system providing hot and cold running water and sewage disposal. A large cistern remains behind the mansion where water, pumped from a spring several hundred yards to the north, was stored and delivered to the house by gravity for domestic use.
n 1897, however, during a period of national recession, Gambrill was forced to surrender title to his estate and mills. Gambrill's finances had been strained by the costs of rebuilding his mill in Frederick after it was destroyed by fire in 1893 and by fierce competition from more technologically advanced milling operations in the Upper Midwest. The properties were conveyed to his daughter and son-in-law, and shortly thereafter sold out of the family. Gambrill retired to Frederick, where he lived until his death in 1932 at the age of 102. Araby Mill was never reactivated after his ownership.
The National Park Service acquired the Gambrill House in the 1980s. It currently serves as the headquarters for the Historic Preservation Training Center (HPTC), an organization dedicated to training maintenance workers in historic preservation skills and preserving historic structures throughout the National Park Service system.
Significance: The Gambrill House was built ca. 1872 for James H. Gambrill, a successful Frederick County miller. Gambrill built the Second-Empire style mansion on high ground overlooking Araby Mill, a gristmill and the source of his prosperity. At the time it was one of the county's largest and grandest residences. The mansard-roofed building was one of the few full expressions of the Second-Empire style built in the Frederick County countryside. The National Park Service acquired the Gambrill property in 1981, to be part of Monocacy National Battlefield. The Battle of Monocacy (July 9, 1864) was fought on this and neighboring farms. Though the Confederacy won a nominal victory, Union commander Lew Wallace succeeded in delaying Confederate Jubal A. Early long enough to prevent the latter's seizure of Washington. The Gambrill House had yet to be built at the time of the battle. The mansion relates to the Civil War-period of the community, however, in that it is representative of rebuilding and improvement that took place locally during the immediate post-war years.
April 23rd, 2012
Viewed 599 Times - Last Visitor from Roubaix, B4 - France on 10/01/2015 at 7:35 AM