Ghosts Of Pon-pon
Pyrography - Photography
Established in 1725 by an Act of the General Assembly, Pon Pon Chapel of Ease was one of two churches serving St. Bartholomews Parish after the Yemassee War (1715) aborted plans for a parish church. The chapel site was located on Parkers Ferry Road, the busy stagecoach thoroughfare that connected Charleston and Savannah. In 1754, a brick chapel was erected to replace the earlier wooden structure. This brick chapel burned in ca.1801, causing Pon Pon Chapel to become subsequently known as the Burnt Church. The chapel was rebuilt between 1819 and 1822, and was in use until 1832 when it was again reduced to ruins. The fae of Pon Pon Chapel had a central, rounded arched entrance flanked by rounded arched windows on either side, all constructed in a brickwork pattern of one stretcher alternating with two headers. The two round windows in the faes upper level utilized the same brickwork pattern. The walls were constructed in Flemish bond. The chapels historical significance is due in part to Rev. John Wesley preaching two sermons here on April 24, 1737 and for its burial ground that contains the remains of Congressmen Aedanus Burke and OBrien Smith, in addition to numerous local leaders. Listed in the National Register January 5, 1972.
August 22nd, 2013
Viewed 81 Times - Last Visitor from Berlin, 16 - Germany on 04/09/2015 at 9:20 PM