Photograph - Photo
A golden sunset looking out over the Pacific Ocean at Long Beach, Washington.
Long Beach began when Henry Harrison Tinker bought a land claim from Charles E. Reed in 1880. He platted the town and called it "Tinkerville." Long Beach was officially incorporated on January 18, 1922. From 1889 to 1930, a narrow gauge railroad called the Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company ran up the whole peninsula.
The Long Beach depot was built between First and Second Streets on the east side of the track, which ran north along "B" Street. A major destination in Long Beach was Tinker's Hotel, later renamed the Long Beach Hotel, and built very close to the station. This was the second hotel built at the site by Henry Harrison Tinker, the founder of Long Beach. Tinker's first hotel burned down in 1894. He built another one just a few feet to the east and south of the rail depot. The image in the gallery shows a crowd waiting for the train sometime between 1901 and 1907. Just across the tracks (which doubled in this area) from Tinker's Hotel in Long Beach was the Portland Hotel. The Portland Hotel, owned by the Hanniman family was unique for the area, in that it featured an enormous round turret-like structure.The Portland Hotel burned down on December 6, 1914, and was not replaced. The Driftwood Hotel was another common Long Beach destination.
The boardwalk area near the station was known as "Rubberneck Row." Businesses existing in August 1911 that can be identified along Rubberneck Row from photographs (see images in this article) include, on the west side of the tracks, an establishment advertising "Baths" (possibly the Crystal Baths, an indoor swimming pool), Milton York Candies, a "Postal Shop," and a soda fountain just across from the station advertising "Milk Shake." A somewhat earlier photograph shows a sign for a livery stable immediately to the west across the tracks from Tinker's Hotel, followed (proceeding southwards) by a barber ship, "Vincent's Souvenirs," and "The Candy Man". A banner stretching above the tracks advertises a restaurant. The photo published by Feagans shows it was produced by H.A. Vincent, Ilwaco and Long Beach, who was probably the owner of Vincent's Souvenirs. Then, in the late 80's, the Marsh's free Museum was made to show people wonders of the northwest.
May 6th, 2012
Viewed 217 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 04/02/2015 at 2:56 PM