Graveyard Phlox Country Church
Photograph - Fine Art Print
St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church in Columbia County, Pennsylvania was founded in 1793.
The original church was constructed of rough hewn pine logs in 1812. It burned in a fire on April 9, 1876. The congregation wasted no time in re-building their place or worship, and the cornerstone for the new church building was laid on May 23, 1876. The first service in the new building was held on Thanksgiving in 1876, and the building was consecrated May 1, 1877.
The church has lovely stained glass side windows which were given by descendants of the pioneer families who were members of the original congregation. The "St. Gabriel" window above the altar was consecrated in 1922.
Upon arriving at the site you will see a bell tower located at the edge of the clearing in front of the church. The bell was cast in Troy, NY, and was a gift from Blanche A Berard. It was originally hung in a pine tree in 1884, and was later refurbished at the McShane Bell Foundry in Maryland. The bell was then re-hung in the current tower built by Franklin Newhart and re-dedicated in July, 2000.
Photographic images by
John Stephens ©
January 20th, 2012
Viewed 152 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 02/23/2015 at 5:39 AM