Comment, Like, & Favorite
Great Cross - Nombre De Dios - St Augustine
Photograph - Photographs - Prints - Digital Images - Cards - Posters - Photo-calendars - Photo Art
© Christine Till
The Great Cross on the grounds of Mission Nombre de Dios commemorates the permanent arrival of European settlers and the Church in North America. It was erected at the site on the Matanzas River where St. Augustine was founded.
The site of the actual first settlement has been located by archaeologists both on today's mission grounds and at the adjacent Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park. In 1565, these were the site of the Timucuan village of Seloy. It was a significant moment in the Christian history of the United States, as from that day to this the Catholic Church has remained a vital part of St. Augustine. The establishment of the city in 1565 can rightly be considered the date of the founding of the first permanent Christian church in the United States. Mission Nombre de Dios ("Name of God" in Spanish) was a fixture on the landscape of St. Augustine well into the 18th century.
The Great Cross is made of stainless steel and its height is approximately 208 feet. It is believed to be the tallest cross in the country. It was erected in 1966 and celebrates the 400th anniversary of Nombre de Dios in the city of St. Augustine.
June 25th, 2013
Viewed 342 Times - Last Visitor from Kiez, 12 - Germany on 11/19/2014 at 10:57 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview