Gun Electromagnet, 19th Century
Photograph - Photograph
Gun electromagnet. Demonstration of the powerful gun magnet developed by Colonel William R. King (1839-1898) in the 1880s at Willett's Point, near New York City, USA. King developed this device while Commandant of the United States Engineers School. It was a large cannon wrapped with kilometres of electrical wiring. When electricity was run through the wiring, it produced an extremely powerful electromagnet. Here, four heavy cannonballs are suspended from it, and iron filings are being attracted to it (centre right). Artwork from the first volume (first period of 1888) of the French popular science weekly 'La Science Illustree'.
May 1st, 2013
Viewed 30 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 08/29/2015 at 4:11 PM