Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Gwydir Uchaf Chapel Conwy Valley
Photograph - Photography
A late 17th century chapel known for its finely painted ceiling. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was begun in 1673 by Sir Richard Wynn, the 4th baronet of Gwydir, as a private chapel for nearby Gwydir Castle.
The exterior of the simply building belies its lavish interior. The chapel is built without a division between chancel and nave, and is very Catholic in its decoration scheme - not too surprising when you consider that Wynn consulted with a Jesuit priest over part of the design. The interior retains much of its 17th century character. The most interesting feature is the ceiling, painted as a celestial firmament, with angels, doves, cherubs, and other allegorical symbols mixed amid symbols of the sun, moon, and stars. There are carved and painted wooden cherubs attached to the wall panelling. A royal coat of arms of Charles II is set upon the south wall.
The chapel continued to hold regular services until the 1920s, and it is now in the care of Cadw.
March 2nd, 2014
Viewed 46 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills on 04/28/2015 at 1:31 PM