Photograph - Photograph
It was built 1732-1733. When Ephraim and Elizabeth Hartwell got married, Ephraim's father Samuel gave them a new house surrounded by 18 acres of land, as well as 12 other acres (30 acres total). The couple quickly began raising a family. In 1756, when the Hartwells had 9 children living in the house, Ephraim applied for and received a license to open part of their home as an inn. He and his family continued to do so until the 1780's.
In the 1980's, the Park Service restored it to its 1775 appearance, however keeping its 1783 and 1830 additions. The main structure, the foundation, and most of the walls, and some of the flooring are original.
In all, about 60 - 70 % of the "original" structure remains within the restored house.
What connection does this tavern have with April 19, 1775?
One legend goes like this:
the night of April 18th, an advance guard of British soldiers captured Paul Revere and William Dawes just down the road from the tavern. Dr. Samuel Prescott of Concord, who was riding with them, escaped by leaping his horse over a stone wall and fleeing through pasture and swamp. He emerged at the Hartwell Tavern. Prescott awakened old Ephraim and told him that the British regulars on the march. Ephraim sent his black slave Violet down the road to awaken Samuel Hartwell next door. Mary then took over and relayed the message to Captain William Smith, commanding officer of the Lincoln Minute Men. Thus the Lincoln Minute Men were warned in time, and arrived at the NorthBridge before the British soldiers got there.
December 23rd, 2013
Viewed 36 Times - Last Visitor from Reading, MA on 08/26/2015 at 1:03 PM