Historic Stone Church Harper's Ferry
Photograph - Photograph
Within the footprint of Harpers Ferry National Historical Park stands St. Peters Roman Catholic Church on a prominent hill overlooking the Shenendoah River and lower main street. Built on land donated by Robert Harper, original construction began in 1830 and was completed in 1833, later to be added to, changed, and restored over time. Although the church turned hands between Union and Confederate soldiers over fourteen times during the civil war, Saint Peters was the only church in Harpers Ferry to remain undamaged. Supposedly, Father Costello raised a Union Jack Flag (United Kingdom) to dissuade both Union and Confederate forces from becoming involved in an international conflict thereby saving St. Peters while other churches were destroyed by the heavy artillary from the surrounding hills of Maryland and Loudoun Heights.
Situated at the confluence of two rivers, the Shenendoah and the Potomac, and three states, West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland (pictures to follow in the near future), Harpers Ferry is an historic town known best for its role in the Civil War. One of only a handful of communities located directly along the Appalachian Trail (seven to be exact according to the ATC), Harpers Ferry is home to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) headquarters and is often quoted as being not the physical but the psychological half-way point on the Appalachian Trail for thru-hikers. The trail literally descends directly alongside the church at mid-frame.
February 16th, 2012
Viewed 550 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 05/23/2015 at 12:14 PM