Comment, Like, & Favorite
Historical Museum Building Of Buffalo
Photograph - Photography
President Lincoln Statue-Buffalo Historical Museuml Building,Buffalo,New York-featured in Urban Landscapes
The Buffalo History Museum (founded as the Buffalo Historical Society, and later named the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society) is located at 1 Museum Court (formerly 25 Nottingham Court) in Buffalo, New York, just east of Elmwood Avenue and off of Nottingham Terrace, north of the Scajaquada Expressway, in the northwest corner of Delaware Park. It occupies the building constructed in 1901 as the New York State pavilion for that year's Pan American Exposition, the sole surviving permanent structure from the exposition. As planned, the Buffalo Historical Society moved into the building after the exposition.
Designed by Buffalo architect George Cary (1859�1945), its south portico is meant to evoke the Parthenon, in Athens.In 1987, it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Founded in 1862, the Buffalo Historical Society's first president was Millard Fillmore. Its exhibits, programs, and events are a magnet for schoolchildren, families, and students. It has hosted observances of Lincoln's Birthday for over a century. In 1960, the Society changed its name to the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, and in October 2012 it became The Buffalo History Museum.
From 1879 to 1947, the Society published pioneering scholarship on the people, events, and history of the Niagara Frontier. Many of those volumes are now online in full text.
1 Research Library
2 Name change
4 External links
Of particular interest to historians, genealogists, researchers, and house history buffs are the collections of the Research Library. Notable collections include the Millard Fillmore Papers, the Peter Buell Porter Papers, the Mary Burnett Talbert papers, Larkin Company records and memorabilia, and an extensive Pan American Exposition collection.On display is the gun used by Leon F. Czolgosz to shoot President William McKinley at the exposition's Temple of Music on September 6, 1901.Additional resources include more than 100,000 artifacts; 20,000 books; 200,000 photographs; 50,000 plans, drawings, maps, posters, prints, and broadsides; 6,500 microfilms of newspapers, church records, cemetery records, and censuses; plus an extensive collection of pamphlets, clippings, and similar ephemera, all documenting the people, places, architecture, organizations, businesses, and events in the Buffalo and Niagara frontier region. A number of detailed bibliographies on popular topics are online at WorldCat.
April 2nd, 2014
Viewed 139 Times - Last Visitor from Seattle, WA on 12/02/2014 at 10:21 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview