Hudson Wasp 1955
Debra and Dave Vanderlaan
Photograph - Photography
A beautifully restored Wasp, circa 1955, whitewalls gleaming and bumpers shined...
The Hudson Wasp is an automobile that was produced by the Hudson Motor Car Company of Detroit, Michigan, between 1952 and 1954. The Wasp was also built by American Motors Corporation in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and marketed under its Hudson brand for model years 1955 and 1956.
After Hudson's 1954 merger with Nash, 1955 Hudsons were built on the unitized Nash platforms. The 1955 Hornet was built on the 1955 Nash Ambassador unitized platform and was offered with the big Hornet 308-cubic-inch 6 as well as a detuned 320-cubic-inch Packard V8. The 1955 Hudson Wasp was built on the Nash Statesman platform. For 1955, the Wasp was offered with Hudson's 202-cubic-inch 6 previously used in the Hudson Jet compact sedan and Hudson Italia. The 202 was offered with twin H Power and put out 120 HP.
The 1955 Hudsons used Nash's long travel coil spring suspension, integrated and advanced Heating and ventilation system and were offered with air conditioning and reclining seats. Although comfortable, the Nash based Hudsons were no longer competitive on the race tracks where they dominated from 1952 to 1954.
Hudson Wasp sales dropped to 7,191 units for the year as traditional Hudson buyers left the marque, viewing the cars as something less than the legendary Hudsons of the past.
In its final two model years, the Wasp became a product of the newly formed American Motors Corporation (AMC).
Following the 1954 model, Hudson's Detroit manufacturing facility was closed and production of Hudson models was shifted to Nash's factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin. All Hudsons would be based on the senior Nash models, but would have exclusive Hudson styling.
December 14th, 2012
Viewed 143 Times - Last Visitor from Selb, 02 - Germany on 06/19/2015 at 3:56 PM