Hyde Street Pier - San Francisco
The Hyde St. Pier was an historic ferry terminal on San Francisco's waterfront. Before the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges, U.S. HWY 101 and 40 diverted onto ferries at this pier. Untold thousands of people and early automobiles plyed this route to destinations north and east.
Today it is a part of San Francisco's Maritime National Historic Park.
Several historic vessels are moored here and from the left in the photo are the 1886 square rigger BALCLUTHA, the 1914 double paddle-wheeled tugboat EPPLETON HALL, the hull of the 1895 schooner C.A. Thayer, and (behind the C.A. Thayer) the 1890 steam Ferry Boat EUREKA.
All of these ships are rare representatives of the few ships of their class, if any, that are still in existence today.
The BALCLUTHA, the shining jewel of the collection, made 17 trips around Africa's Cape Horn, each trip taking approximately half a year.
November 14th, 2011
Viewed 96 Times - Last Visitor from Moncton, NB - Canada on 10/01/2015 at 5:17 PM