Comment, Like, & Favorite
Photograph - Digital Photograph
An Irish grave marker at Saint Mary's College captured during a brief snow.
The Celtic cross is a symbol that combines a cross with a ring surrounding the intersection. It belongs to a kind of crosses with a nimbus. In the Celtic Christian world it was combined with the Christian cross and this design was often used for high crosses – a free-standing cross made of stone and often richly decorated. With the Celtic Revival the shape, usually decorated with interlace and other motifs from Insular art, became popular for funerary monuments and other uses, and has remained so, spreading well beyond Ireland.
REV. BERNARD J. HAYDEN, Pastor St. Lawrence Catholic Church, Easton, and Pastor in charge of St. Joseph's Church, Salt Creek Valley, and St. Patrick's Church, Springdale; came to Kansas in August, 1866, locating in Topeka, where he attended the Seminary of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, and where he resided until April, 1869. He then removed to Lawrence, where he resided until November, 1869, in which month he was ordained in Columbus, Ohio, by Bishop Rosecranz. After his ordination he went to Soloman City, Dickinson County, where he had charge of the mission extending from Abilene to Kit Carson, in Colorado. He continued in charge of this mission until January, 1871, when, owing to failing eye-sight, he went to Roscommon, Ireland, where he remained until August, 1881, and then returned to America, locating in Kansas City, Kan., where he lived until he came to Easton. Father Hayden was born in Roscommon, Ireland, in March, 1847, where he completed his classical course of studies, and lived in his native city until April 4, 1864, when he left Ireland for America, locating in Milwaukee, Wis., where he entered St. Francis' Seminary, and pursued his philosophical and theological studies until August, 1866, when he came to Kansas, locating in Topeka, as already stated; here he completed his studies in June, 1868. He then taught in the Seminary of the Assumption until 1869.
April 12th, 2013
Viewed 31 Times - Last Visitor from Beverly Hills, CA on 07/12/2014 at 8:40 PM
copy and paste to your website / blog - preview